Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Comments 4 Teachers # 1

I followed Jabiz Raisdana, an intrepid teacher in Doha, Qatar. Many important topics and information is found on this blog. I highly recommend this blog! Below is the feedback I left for his posts.
Talk Back:
I found your post extremely relevant to my recent studies. In a class I am currently enrolled in, Bloom's Taxonomy has been brought up multiple times. The specific class has given information on applying Bloom's pyramid to special education students. The thought is, no matter the level of the student's learning capabilities, coursework should be relevant, challenging, and presented in a manner to benefit the child. I feel in most cases students can be pushed to the next level in coursework and exams. It would be interesting to gradually increase exams, quizzes, or projects to see how the students progress. Keeping the material along the same level of difficulty, but perhaps changing formats. Although I would have personally hated that when I was in 6th grade, I know it would have definitely been of benefit. You must be a very involved teacher to express interest in finding new ways to involve your students. I think this is wonderful. Students/children today have a hard time finding someone to trust and look up to. Many teachers are not involved and do no want to waste their personal time to offer additional help. I recall having my best relationships during school with teachers that presented a mentor model. Though it may depend on the child's individual personality, I feel many students would be able to communicate more effectively through this model. I look forward to your updates on this topic.
Tuff Stuff:
Amazing post. I am very interested with the concept of Glogster. The examples of ways you have come up with to utilize this tool is also very impressive. All prove to be very effective classroom activities/projects. Your students are very lucky to have a such a creative teacher, who is so involved. Thanks again for sharing!
No Flash. Just Read.:
Another great post. I personally enjoy reading the old-fashioned way, a book with only words. Someone replied with a comment stating reading should enhance the imagination. I could not agree more. When you only have text, you imagine as you read what the settings, characters, atmosphere of the words represent and look like. This new way of reading takes away that imagination.
Though it is a very fascinating tool, I agree that this gadget would provoke game playing. Perhaps an application like this could be utilized as a prize. Encourage the child to read a 'real book', and then instead of allowing children to sit in front of a game system, offer them this technological tool.
For the children who struggle or have a different outlook on reading, this may be the ideal tool. Though I encourage "old school" reading, if this tool could change a child's interest, then I would be supportive.
Thanks for sharing such an interesting topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment